Tips for Keeping Your Lungs Healthy
Updated: Sep 10
Tragically, Washington, Oregon and California are experiencing unhealthy air quality right now due to wildfires. It is important to protect your lungs from the smoke filled air. Here are some key tips to avoid lung damage:
1. Keep you and your pets indoors as much as possible to limit exposure. This also means keeping doors and windows closed. Also, refrain from exercising outdoors until the air quality improves.
2. If you go outside protect yourself with a mask. The best type of mask to protect from smoke particles is an N95 rated mask but any type of mask will help. Oh bonus! You already have a mask to protect you from COVID-19... right?!?
3. Purchase a HEPA air purifier for your home. This will help remove smoke from inside your home. It will also remove dust, mold , pollen and pet dander from your home. These can also irritate your lungs.
4. Diffusing eucalyptus essential oil in your home can help soothe sinus irritation and lung irritation. As always NEVER ingest essential oils.
5. Many herbs can soothe and protect the respiratory system. Some of these herbs include; mullein, reishi mushrooms, hyssop, elder flower, peppermint, licorice, elecampane, wild cherry bark, astragalus, red raspberry leaves and plantain.
6. Saline, Colloidal silver and Xylitol nose sprays can remove irritants from the nose and sinuses.
7. If you experience persistent coughing and shortness of breath you should give your doctor a call.
This article is for informative purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition.